Background

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Let's Catch Up

So I haven't blogged in quite some time... This could be a long one! I have been procrastinating.  I don't have anything MONUMENTAL to report just the events of my everyday life. I am currently sitting in one of my first grad school classes at 7:43 on a Thursday night, worn smooth out, and admittedly bored to death.  The class is on testing and evaluation... MCT... blah, blah, blah.  I teach first grade now.  No thank you! HELLO!!? Haven't you heard of Common Core?? Ok sorry back to topic. SO I have decided to catch up on my blog as I hear only 20% of what my professor is saying.  I was once told my students DO NOT retain 80% of what I am saying.  Encouraging huh!??!

What's been going on... Projects I have begun and are currently mastering:

1. I started teaching first grade! 
 I got a J-O-B in Oxford, 5 minutes from my house.  Goodbye commute!  Here are some pics of my new classroom.  I spent A LOT of time and $$$ fixing it up.  I think it's fun and welcoming.  It will get better with time.
My door hanger. I was excited to see it hanging!
 
My cute door.  Those are REAL coconuts! Yes, I am aware that coconuts and bananas don't grow on the same tree.  

This is my room.  The room I spend about 10 hours a day in.  I love the windows and the light!

View from the other side. 

Phonics Fun Peacocks AND in Oxford I can have a microwave and a refrigerator! Talk about teacher incentive! Haha! :)

Cubbies- Look at that organization! 

Carpet Time! 

This might not look much to you, but it was a nightmare.  Story would be boring to you. 

Word wall

Green is the Goal

The Treasure Chest

Daily Jobs Chart

Front board 

A few precious memories from students.  The "How to Feel Better on a Bad Day" I will keep forever.  Wish you could see what the inside pages say.  Ashton will be one I never forget! 

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil!

View from my desk, which in 1st grade, you NEVER sit down! 

Wearing our shades! Our future is bright! 
(Stole the motto from PSE)
I love, love, love my students and my job, but let me tell ya, it's been an adjustment. I have felt like a 1st year teacher all over again.  NOT a good feeling.  A month and a half in I'm getting a little more confident and feeling a little more comfortable.  I have A LOT to learn and am looking forward to learning it.  


2. I started Graduate School.
Once again I have piled my plate high.  I have always said I would go back to school.  I seriously didn't think I would have a full time teaching position this year so decided that this would be the perfect time to start.  Well luckily I was wrong about the job but now I am a very busy lady! I am taking 2 night classes 7:00-9:30.  What in the heck was I thinking!?!?! One of this classes will be very helpful to me.  The other one (currently sitting in) doesn't quit keeping me "ENGAGED."  In my profession, this is the only way to get a significant pay raise.  I also am extending my professional knowledge and living up to being a LIFE LONG LEARNER! :) 

3. Half Marathon Training!!! 
I am going for my 2nd half! I am very excited about this one for many reasons.  First of all the anxiety of never running one before doesn't exist. Second, I have a running partner! This is awesome, motivational, and very helpful in holding me accountable.  This is Lindsey's (Pollard) first half and I am so happy that she is joining me.  She is going to do awesome and I'm so lucky to have her running next to me. We have slowly been working up to the start of our training program.  Neither one of us ran much this summer so we have been working on getting comfortable with 3 miles several times a week.  We are actually ahead of schedule and already on track with our official training long runs... 4 miles! Third, this run is in Memphis.  Bye bye Oxford hills.  Unfortunately we will be training on the hills but we think that will make our run that much easier. Last but not least, we are running for a GREAT cause! We are running the St. Jude Half and have both committed to being St. Jude heroes.  This means that we are required to not only run 13.1 miles but also each raise $500 for St. Jude.  Each time I am running and want to quit, I think about how those sweet children have to fight and keep going every day.  They are worth every ache, every minute, every mile.  

You can visit mystjudeheroes.org/alkhughes to donate to the cause! How could you not??? Even $10 dollars would make a great impact! 

To look forward too.... 


1. The Avett Brothers!


Brandon introduced me to the Avett Brothers when we were dating and I feel in love with him and them! We got to see them for the first time on NYE in Asheville, North Carolina.  David Mayfield opened up for them and it was a completely fantastic show! When we saw their fall tour schedule we were pumped to see that they were coming VERY close.  On November 11th we will be going to see them in Starkville and I AM SOOOO EXCITED! 

2. HAWAII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over Thanksgiving break Brandon and I will be visiting our friends Lea and Andrew at their new home in 
Oahu, Hawaii!


We are so so so excited! I love and miss my sweet Lea so much and know she has been scouting us out some fun adventures.  When Brandon and I were discussing honeymoon destinations Hawaii was our #1 choice.  For a few different reasons we landed on Jamaica.  Jamaica was great but we can't wait to see what Hawaii has in store! 

3. Our 1 year Anniversary 

We will be celebrating in Hawaii.  I can't think of a better 1 year anniversary destination! It has been a great year with my best friend and I can't wait to see all of the things life has in store for us.  Brandon is my rock.

Well class is wrapping up. It's about time to go home and I think that's about all I have for now. Life is good, God is good, we are blessed.  Until next time.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment