Background

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Week of Running Was a Bust...

Unfortunately not much good news to report on my training this week.  Last weekend I started having allergy problems that throughout the week turned into sinus problems and by the weekend a full blown URI.  I tried to fight it off with over the counter meds but 7 days later and $200 gone I am now on the road to recovery.  I went to Urgent Care yesterday.  I knew exactly what he was going to tell me and that he was probably going to give me an antibiotic that I really could do without, but the bottom line is that I don't have time to be sick.  I also requested a nice steroid shot that kicked in within hours.

So here are my week 2 stats... They don't look very good, but it'll be ok!

Week 2 of SJHM Training 
Monday: 4 miles- good run on this day! 
Tuesday: Short but enjoyable 2 miles
Wednesday: Life (a.k.a. work, got in the way)
Thursday: work, field experience hours, first graduate school exam- didn't get home until 9:30 got in the way
Friday: sick and exhausted
Saturday: woke up, couldn't breath, went to the doc
Sunday: feeling better but thought I would take one more day of rest to be on the safe side
Total miles this week: 6 
Total Official Training miles: 18
Feelings: Disappointed but ready to rock it his week!


So no, this week wasn't great but I can't dwell on it.  I just have to do good this coming up week.  I do believe that it's important to listen to your body.  If it needs rest, give it some.  If it is sick, help it to heal.  I think this will benefit me better in the long run. 

On a positive note, my running partner, Lindsay Pollard reached her 5 mile long run goal this week! I am so proud of her. This was her first and I know she did great! She even got it done three days early so she could go rock it with Hanson in New Orleans this weekend.  GO LINZ!!!! And yes, Hanson is still a band.  She has let me hear some of their more recent tunes and if I do say so myself, they have come a long way since the Mmm Bop days. :) 

Side Notes
7 weeks and 4 days until Hawaii! I have been talking to Lea about our fun adventures we are planning.  I can't wait!!!! Mostly can't wait to see her.  I did get to have a great phone convo with her this week.  She helped me make it through the cruddy week but I think a good beach convo on an island in the middle of the Pacific will be pretty sweet too! 

Also, if you love good music you should check out Jessica Lea Mayfield and then come and see her play at Proud Larrys on November the 5th.  She is David Mayfield's  (of the David Mayfield Parade) sister. You can check her out on iTunes.  My favorite songs are "Blue Skies Again" and "Our Hearts are Wrong."  I will be there for sure! November will be a great month for good tunes!



Being sick this week gave me some time to do a little reading for fun and I started a new book, Sarah's Key.  I think it's going to be pretty great and unforgettable.  It takes place during WW2 and is about a young girl who is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night.  It switches back and forth from her story to that of a modern day journalist who begins to research the round up for an article she is writing for a local newspaper.  I'm pretty sure their stories will intertwine in one way or another.  A lot of the book has been pretty sad so far but I think in the end it's going to be a good story of the the human spirit.  

Well I hope everyone has a great week and I hope to have much better stats to report next week! Until then! 





No comments:

Post a Comment