Background

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Delicious, Easy, (and Healthy) Summer Recipe

Brandon and I subscribe to Cooking Light magazine.  As most of you know, Brandon is a chef and does most of the cooking at our house.  We like to try and find recipes that are supper yummy and that won't bust your gut.  When I cook, I like for it to be easy.  When I found this recipe I was really pumped because 1. I LOVE pasta 2. It's super easy (I cooked it myself!) 3. It only has 301 calories for a 4th of the recipe. I found this recipe in the July issue of Cooking Light.

We love to eat out (this is where we don't always eat nearly as healthy as we should), and to me this taste like something right out of a great Italian restaurant. I have had a few people ask for the recipe so I just decided to post it on here.

Baked Ziti and Summer Squash


Game Plan (I love a game plan!):
1. Chop veggies
2. While pasta cooks, saute veggies
3. While pasta bakes, prepare a yummy mixed green salad to go with your pasta!

Ingredients:
4 ounces uncooked zitti (I used whole wheat)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow squash
1 cup chopped zucchini
2 cups chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used Premium Minced Squeeze Garlic by Spice World)
1 cup shredded part skim- mozzarella cheese, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (you can use the basil out of your spice rack, I did)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
cooking spray

Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil to pan.  Add squash, zucchini, and onion; saute for 5 minutes.  Add tomato and garlic; saute for 3 more minutes.

4.  Remove from heat and stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, all herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper

5 Combine and lightly beat ricotta, remaining salt, and egg.  Stir into pasta mixture.

6. Spoon into an 8 inch square class or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Sprinkle remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.

Nutrition:
Yield 4 servings.  Serving size about 1& 1/2 cups.   Calories 301, Fat 12.1 grams, Protein 16.5 grams, Carbs 32.8 grames, Fiber 4.1 grams

My results: SUPER YUMMY!!!! Even the leftovers are good!  Brandon loved it and I shared some with my neighbor and friend Amanda too.  She has requested a plate for every time I make it. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment